Historical Society formed in 1976 for the purpose of buying, selling and acquiring as gifts both real and personal property; and of teaching, publishing and reproducing by any means historical data and information; of identifying, marking and maintaining property and sites.
The society depends solely on members dues and fundraising activities, such
as bake sales and an antiques appraisal night with Jim Marquis, to support
its programs and projects. The society sponsors the Davenport-Muzzy History
Award of $100 U.S. Savings Bond to a graduate of Barstow Memorial School
who demonstrates exemplary interest in history. Since 2007 it has become
a tradition for the Historical Society to annually organize a potluck supper
to include a noteworthy speaker on a topic in history. All events are free
and open to the public.
Our mission is to preserve, and share through education, town history. In
our programming, we try to include something for everyone:
- We sponsor educational field trips and hikes to explore the town’s early
- We endeavor to bring programs of interest to our town on meeting nights.
- We collect and preserve photos, artifacts, oral histories, genealogies,
and historical accounts of town places and events.
- Our past activities have included sponsoring a Memorial Day event to
honor our living and deceased military personnel, preservation and restoration
of the Grange Hall, the Muzzy Davenport Award for best school project
about local history, and hikes to places with historical significance.
The society is actively building its collections of biographical, genealogical
and historical information and artifacts that relate to Chittenden history.
Any and all contributions that relate to Chittenden history are appreciated.
The Chittenden Historical Society meets the second Tuesday of the month, March through December, at 7:00 PM at the Historical Society on Holden Road in Chittenden.
Visitors are welcome.
Officers are elected in December to serve for the year following.
- Co–Presidents: Steve Welch and Joseph Meyers
- Vice-president: see above
- Secretary: Marcia Lertola
- Treasurer: Bob Webster
- Committee chairmanships are appointed
Trustees: – 4 trustees serve 2 year terms with 2 elected in alternate years
- Bob Muzzy – through 2017
- George Butts – through 2017
- Reggi Dubin – through 2018
- David Sargent – through 2018
For questions, contributions or more discussion about Chittenden History…
- write to us:
Chittenden Historical Society
Chittenden, Vermont 05737
- contact our volunteer web designer/developer Cliff Dutton…
- send us an email message from your personal computer by clicking this link: send us an email.
- send us an email message from business or public computer with this form:
Here we provide links to other history and Chittenden non-profits and community organizations. Please use the Contact Us form above if you would like to have your Chittenden related organization listed here as well.
- The Vermont Historical Society
- Frederic Duclos Barstow Memorial School
- Frederic Duclos Barstow Memorial School Library
- Chittenden Public Library, also at Barstow School
- Chittenden Town Office
- Four Winds Nature Institute, a nature education organization.
- The Chittenden Dammers Snowmobile Club, our local VAST (Vermont Association of Snow Travelers) club of the 138 VAST clubs in Vermont.
- Joppa Prn, Inc, an aid organization to underdeveloped countries.